Featured post

The Plan

I’ve lived close to the A5 much of my life, and long had a fascination with it as a historic road. It’s a road which has both divided...

Friday 12 May 2017

Completing Phase 1

Not being able to post pictures here has been annoying - not sure why, it's worked from my phone in the past. Now I'm back home I will soon upload a few of the more relevant pictures to the blogs I did each day.

The first phase was always meant to finish at Wroxeter, and that before planning Phase 2. Reflecting on it, I realise that it's actually very difficult to see the Roman road itself. After not being sure, I'm just beginning to think that a roadside cable trench that I saw by Catthorpe, with a layer of evenly graded pebbly stones at one section, might just have been a piece of the real road: a bit more research required, though before confirming that. It is, however, possible still to see the signs of Roman engineering - surprisingly perhaps, best of all in Greater London. I have some further thoughts on Watling Street as a boundary, between the Great Ouse and the Anker. I didn't manage to engage as well as I'd hoped on the relationship between the road and its surrounding landscape. The reuse of the road down the ages is its greatest testament, and there are still the modern names that link back to that past.

Phase 2? Soon, but no date planned yet.        


No comments:

Post a Comment