Featured post

The Plan

I’ve lived close to the A5 much of my life, and long had a fascination with it as a historic road. It’s a road which has both divided...

Friday 25 August 2017

1897 Jubilee Plaques

There are things I knew would recur along the walk. I started at a marble arch, and I will finish at another.  There are recurrent themes of milestones and tollhouses, and all those other bits of road infrastructure. But here's one I didn't expect.

Here's a zoomed-in detail from a picture I took along the walk of Primrose Cottage in Atherstone. I thought I recognised this tile, dating from Queen Victoria's 1897 jubilee.












I checked when I got home - and I've just got round to taking a picture of it. This is at 'Jubilee Buildings' on the High Street in Bangor, and part of the route I will be walking later on. (As I have now planned phase 2, I can say that I will pass this again on September 21st).













Sure enough, the plaques are identical. I thought these must have been mass-produced at the time, and somebody, somewhere must know about these. It didn't take me long to find out more online: here's what they are.  I will alert them to the Bangor plaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment