Featured post

The Plan

I’ve lived close to the A5 much of my life, and long had a fascination with it as a historic road. It’s a road which has both divided...

Wednesday 20 September 2017

To Capel Curig

Today I was to walk the Padog Bends, now probably the most uncomfortable part for the walker. There's no footway, the road winding around the sides of a gorge with the river Conwy below. I was well-prepared, with my hi-viz tabard and colourful hat, and always ready to stop and lean back if anything too big came close. Despite all that, the walk itself was a delight: just as the bends above Glyn Diffwys were awkward because the terrain was so rugged, so here there were lovely views down into the rushing waters below.

Descending down into Betws-y-Coed was also awkward in places, and without the compensations. I found I was having to plan ahead which side of the road to walk: it's no good being on the blind side of a sharp bend, then not being able to see to cross.

There are more views down into Cyfyng Falls, and another little viewing platform which I hadn't known about, built out from a former stretch of the road, now a layby. It's a little bigger than the pair at Glyn Diffwys but, I suspect, a later addition.

As I was walking parts of the road either newly built or extensively renovated by Telford, this meant I was also seeing many of his original bridges. The elegance of the design means you hardly notice them when passing over but mean to look from the side and/or underneath to appreciate the construction. The topography - the reason why a bridge was required in the first place - means this is not always possible but at least the walker can have a go. 

However, my main issue today was the principal camera stopped working; it takes pictures alright, but just won't save them, and as I couldn't access anything else, I was faced with the prospect of having lost all I had recorded since Saturday. Fortunately, I'm staying at home tonight and I have been able to recover nearly everything, and back it up. I was able to continue today with the phone camera, already being used for the tweets, although it doesn't manage as well in the rain. Update here.

Depots: 53!

No comments:

Post a Comment