Featured post

The Plan

I’ve lived close to the A5 much of my life, and long had a fascination with it as a historic road. It’s a road which has both divided...

Saturday 7 October 2017

The Milestones of Shropshire

I've posted earlier about the milestones along the length of Watling Street to Wroxeter. They come more frequently now, and this post is about what I found  - and didn't find - along the length of the road from my restart in Uckington until crossing into Wales. This post comes with the benefit of having cross-checked after coming home what other people have said about these milestones.

On the London side of Shrewsbury, I was looking for milestones with the mileage from London. In style, these should continue the pattern of the 139, 140 and 141 mile posts I saw towards the end of Phase 1.

The first one I expected was London 146 miles, which ought to have been on the old A5, now the B5061, a little to the east of its junction with the B4380. Why did I think it was there? Because it's identified on older Ordnance Survey maps (with some of its mileage details) and the present-day OS Explorer map still has MS at this point. I had a good look for this one - unlike later on, where there was too much vegetation which might have hidden it and too much traffic to wander around searching - but didn't find it. If it was there, I should have seen it. Coming back home, after rechecking, I find that neither Historic England's listed buildings records nor the Milestone Society have it, so perhaps I was seeking something that disappeared long ago. Unless the Ordnance Survey know differently.

Next: London 147 miles. Apparently this is at the western end of the old Atcham Bridge, and is listed, so it really ought to be there.  I crossed over the old bridge and looked around but didn't find anything, although, concerned now about being late for my next appointment, I probably wasn't as thorough as a mile earlier. I have since found this photograph online which claims to show it, and I can't see it there either.

I had more luck at 148 miles. This one is where it should be and is listed although the listing text wrongly says 145 miles.









This is prominent and in a good condition, unaccountably not yet a listed building or structure.









There are meant to be two milestones at the column roundabout in Shrewsbury and I only found one of them. There is a bit of a mix-up in the listing details - this one is in the position indicated for 1246398 but has the legend described for 1255092.














The mention of County Hall makes this listed 150-mile marker more interesting.

















After passing through the centre of Shresbury, I was now looking for milestones to Holyhead. These are all of a common pattern, a shaped limestone block with a cast iron plate listing miles to Holyhead and the distance from Salop (Shrewsbury).

106 miles. A pity the stone is painted (and, compared with the others, the bolts shouldn't be painted black).










I couldn't find 105 miles, although the Milestone Society have recorded it, but with a plate which looks like a modern reproduction.

104 miles.  I very nearly missed this one, a hedge overhanging it and ivy almost hiding the plate. This begins to explain why I missed a few others along the way.
















In fact, I then failed to find both the 103 and 102 miles to Holyhead stones. I began to realise that September is must be the worst time of year for roadside vegetation growth, and that the highway authorities are probably cutting it back less these days. These stones are probably still there somewhere, but completely overgrown.

It may not be obvious, but this is 101 miles to Holyhead. It's not that the stone has been buried, more that the road level has been raised since it was put there.








This one is a bit more readable, and prominent on the side of the present-day A5.










It looks like someone has decided to take care of this one, although painting the bevel of the stone black doesn't quite match others.









I missed both the stones for 98 and 97 miles to Holyhead, once again because of roadside vegetation. I have since seen them on Google Streetview. Holyhead 96 miles is in Blists Hill Museum, and I have no complaint about that - more people will notice it there, as I have done myself.

95 miles, although listed, has been lost since 1980 according to the Milestone Society. I couldn't find it, either.

It was a step forward to spot a nicely preserved and displayed  milestone for 94 miles.
















And 93.












The 92-mile was another one missing, although I wasn't sure this could have been hidden by vegetation: where it ought to have been was a shortish grass verge with not much growth behind either. I think this one might have been moved more recently, despite its listing. Apparently it turned up in a pile of earth when the main road was being upgraded and has been installed on a drive in nearby Aston Hall.


 91 miles.













This was a bit of a bonus - I hadn't expected to find a milesone for 90 miles, and it's not marked on any modern maps, but here's a recent reproduction.








I didn't see 89 miles to Holyhead and it's not included on anybody's lists, so it must have gone long ago. Neither did I see 88 miles but it's shown on the 1:50,000 OS map and the Milestone Society have a reference number for it.

Here is 87 miles, which looks original and is in fairly good condition, the main blemish being a chunk of stone missing from the right side. I made the mistake earlier of saying it isn't listed, but it is.














86 miles. It's nice to see how the owner of the privet hedge has trimmed it around the milestone.









85 miles. This one, inexplicably, is not listed.

















With 84 miles to go, this is the last milestone on the old A5 in England. Located betwen parking spaces, it must be vulnerable to the odd knock, and in fact the plate has cracked horizontally below the HEAD of HOLYHEAD, and is protruding outwards. This is at risk of falling out altogether and urgently needs repair.





I've got a little more to do with all this. I intend to contact the various authorities responsible for the milestones and for recording them with these details, and more, with a view to improving their upkeep and accessibility. I wonder how I will get on with that.






No comments:

Post a Comment